Sunday, July 18, 2010

How I construct a puzzle piece

There has been a lot of new interest in the Pieces of Friendship puzzle swap but many are not quite sure how to go about creating a puzzle so I am sharing my directions for a crazy quilted piece here. This can be adapted for any type of art you make, not just fiber/crazy quilting.

I trace the puzzle pattern onto a scrap of muslin.
Using a small fabric image I add pieces of coordinating fabric in the crazy quilt method. Notice the small blue flower on her dress? That is where I take my color choices from.
After covering all areas of traced pattern trim 1/4" outside traced line and trim away excess fabric. I roughly cut out inside curves.
Gather embellishments...
Embellish while making note of where the puzzle pattern ends on back. Take embellishments all the way to edge of traced line.
Choose a backing fabric and iron on wonder under.
Trace the puzzle pattern onto a stiff product such as Peltex. I use the fusible Peltex. Cut out on the line.
Press puzzle piece with Art from back side then place Peltex on wrong side and press using a Teflon pressing cloth. Turn over and trim away fabric overhanging Peltex.

Peel wonder under from backing fabric and press on Peltex to sandwich it between Art piece and backing fabric. Trim any fabrics or threads. Sew all around piece using Buttonhole stitch.

Sign back with Pigma pen or iron on label with name and state or country and any other preferred info.

Press flat and post in your album on the yahoo group to swap.

5 comments:

  1. Wow that's great - I just couldn't work out how to do it neatly and get everything sew on - hence my not joining it - it was just 'beyond' me. Off to look up Peltex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that looks easier than I thought it would be. I couldn't figure out the edges before.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sweet comment to my Blog... what a talent you have for making beautiful fabric Art and teaching it too! I love your puzzle Quilt. Happy Valentine's Day

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can I get the puzzle pattern? I would like to try making one before I make a commitment. Thanks, Jane in MO

    ReplyDelete